Country Profile: Ghana
Total Population: 31 million
Total Children under the age of 18: 13.7 million
The situation of children in Ghana
- Over 1.1 million children in Ghana have lost either one of or both their parents.
- Around 160,000 Ghanaian children have been orphaned due to AIDS and are now facing a life without their biological parents.
- 80 % of children that live in children's residential homes, mainly privately owned and run, are not orphans and have at least one parent who is alive.
- 17 % of children do not live with either of their biological parents and so are often denied family care, parental guidance, and support.
- 94 % of children aged 1 to 14 years have experienced violence, including abuse and neglect and corporal punishment.
Ghana Without Orphans works on:
- Lobby and Advocacy. Ghana Without Orphans is working on the judicial process of protection and care for children in Ghana. GWO reviewed current laws and policies relating to orphans and vulnerable children and identified gaps and areas for improvement in the current child care and protection system.
- Creation of an inter-institutional commission to implement and monitor best practices across the country.
- Preventive and family support services.
- Training and Support programs.
Other Information about Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and Family Care in Ghana
Better Care Network Information on Family-Based Care in Ghana
More information for prayer at Operation World
"Source: UNICEF, Humanium, SOS Children's Villages International".