Country Profile: South Africa
Total Population: 56.9 million
Total Children under the age of 18: 20.5 million
The situation of children in South Africa
The Challenges: •
- Over 450,000 children live in formal foster care arrangements.
- More than half (62.3%) of the child population aged 0-17 live in low-income situations.
- 76% of children under 18 years of age live with their biological mothers, while 36.4% live with their biological fathers.
- Nearly 6 million South Africans are infected with HIV–2.5% of children less than 14 years old. 40% of all deaths among children under the age of 5 is AIDS-related
- One-third of girls experience some form of violence before the age of 18
- 4 out of 10 children don’t have access to running water
Other Information about Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and Family Care in South Africa
Better Care Network Information on Family-Based Care in South Africa
More information for prayer at Operation World
"Source: UNICEF, Humanium, SOS Children's Villages International".