Country Profile: Thailand
Total Population: 69.6 million
Total Children under the age of 18: 16.4 million
The situation of children in Thailand
There are currently 20,000 children living on the streets in Thailand's main cities. Many children in Thailand are victims of physical or sexual violence or abuse. Most instances of sexual violence are against young girls, which seriously impacts their lives.
- Around one million children live in vulnerable conditions in Thailand. These include those who live in poverty, have lost parental care, have a disability, or are forced to live on the streets.
- Around 290,000 children have been left without parental care due to HIV/AIDS. It is also estimated that 200 to 300 children will be born HIV-positive each year.
- Out of the 20,000 children affected by HIV/AIDS, only 1,000 have access to medical care.
- More than 10,000 children are treated in hospitals each year due to violence, primarily sexual abuse.
- 9% of children between the ages of 5-14 are involved in work.
Other Information about Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and Family Care in Thailand:
"Source: UNICEF, Humanium, SOS Children's Villages International".