Country Profile: Burundi
Total Population: 11.8 million
Total Children under the age of 18: 6.3 million
The situation of children in Burundi
- 610,000 children in Burundi are orphans.
- The rising numbers of children living in the streets without parental care.
- In Burundi, 78% of children live in poverty. Child poverty in Burundi significantly affects children in the rural parts of the country.
- Due to high levels of poverty, around 35% cent of all children in Burundi is undernourished.
- 90,000 children in Burundi were infected with HIV by their mothers during pregnancy.
- Violence in schools, including cases of sexual abuse by teachers, is one of the underlying causes of girls dropping out of school.
- 23% of children aged 6-14 years old remain out of school.
- Girls and boys are also internally trafficked for domestic work and sexual exploitation.
Other Information about Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and Family Care in Burundi
"Source: UNICEF, Humanium, SOS Children's Villages International".